Ice Hockey Specific Game Modifications 11-9-20:
The below modifications shall be implemented as Ice Hockey specific supplements to the “Reopening RI” Return to Play RI: Phase III youth, adult, & school sports guidelines dated 9-11-20 and Governor Raimondo’s Executive Order. In addition, participants must adhere to all State and Municipal Guidelines where their activities are being held.
- Players, coaches, and officials are required to wear face coverings at all times. Acceptable face coverings should follow CDC Guidance. Hockey specific Helmet products like the Bauer Splash guard are NOT-Acceptable. All bubble type face mask still require a face covering to be worn.
- No more than (2) parents or guardians of the athlete and the athlete’s siblings may be present at an event.
- Spectators must remain socially distanced while in the ice arena.
- Both the facility operator (rink) and the activity organizer (entity that purchases the ice time) are responsible for complying with any and all contact tracing requests from the State of RI.
- All tournaments, games, practices, etc. with out-of-state teams is prohibited.
- Previous game modifications related to Body Contact have been removed and games will follow most current USA Hockey rules.
- Referees to minimize player’s deliberate close contact at faceoffs by socially distancing players prior to the drop of the puck.
- Referees to minimize player’s deliberate close contact with quicker stoppage of play when puck scrums occur along boards or around goal creases.
- Players are always to wear helmets and gloves during games and practices to avoid skin to surface contact.
- Only (1) player per team is allowed in penalty box.
- Water Bottles will not be shared at any time.
- No personal hockey equipment shall be shared.
- Goalie equipment that is shared for an instructional team must be properly sanitized prior to any use.
- Locker Room use is allowed as long as social distancing is maintained per CDC and RIDOH guidelines.
- Showering is not allowed after games or practices.
- Have a hand sanitizing station at the bench area.
- Carpooling is strongly discouraged, but in the event that it is required all partied should wear face coverings.
- Open Doors and/or utilize Makeup air units to allow for fresh air circulation.
- Players should be encouraged to come to the rink partially dressed to minimize amount of time required in the rink to get dressed.
- Referees will be encouraged to use electronic whistles.
- Referees will be encouraged to wear gloves to avoid skin to surface contact.